A teacher affects eternity: one can never tell where their influence stops.
- Henry Brooks Adams
The Excellence in Teaching Award honors a high school, college or postgraduate teacher’s dedication. Educators in all areas of photographic teaching are eligible, including fine art, documentary, history and criticism.
- Educators need to have a genuine passion for teaching
- An ability to excite students to learn
- A respect for students as individuals
- An enduring artistic curiosity
FROM THE FOUNDERS
We established the Excellence in Teaching Award in 1998 to recognize great teaching and its exceptional contribution to photographers' artistic and personal development. The award recognizes teachers who demonstrate a genuine passion for teaching, an ability to excite students to learn, a respect for students as individuals, and an enduring artistic curiosity.
2013 AWARD WINNERS
First Place, $3,000 award
|Jessamyn Lovell||University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM|
|Sky Bergman||Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo, CA|
"We were asked to analyze what failure means to us and directed to come up with a solution for a work we have done that we considered a failure. Rather than simply redoing the original artwork, we were directed to reconsider our concept, unlimited by materials, to produce a new artwork. The beauty of this project is that it is not dependent on success. Rather, we learn that a failure is not a dead end, and we learn to analyze and rethink our ideas giving us tools to make our future works more successful."
Anita Enriquez, Albuquerque, NM, 2013
From the Teaching Award winner student recommendation
- 1-3 page statement addressing teaching effectiveness
- A résumé reflecting education and teaching history
- Sample syllabus
- Three recommendation letters from current or former students. If nominated, your nomination letter may count as 1 of the 3 letters to fulfill this requirement.
- $20 submission fee/ free for CENTER members; make checks payable to CENTER, and mail to PO Box 2483, Santa Fe, NM 87504 or pay via Paypal.