Nominate your favorite teacher. Nomination Deadline: October 28, 2013
Submission Deadline: November 25, 2013
The Excellence in Teaching Award honors a high school, college or postgraduate teacher’s dedication. Educators in all areas of photographic teaching are eligible, including fine art, documentary, history and criticism.
- Educators need to have a genuine passion for teaching
- An ability to excite students to learn
- A respect for students as individuals
- An enduring artistic curiosity
- 1-3 page statement addressing teaching effectiveness
- A résumé reflecting education and teaching history
- Sample syllabus
- Three recommendation letters from current or former students. If nominated, your nomination letter may count as 1 of the 3 letters to fulfill this requirement.
- $20 submission fee/ free for CENTER members; make checks payable to CENTER, and mail to PO Box 2483, Santa Fe, NM 87504 or pay via Paypal.
2012 AWARD WINNERS
|Stephan Hillerbrand||University of Houston, Houston, TX|
|Allan deSouza||San Francisco Art Insitute & UC Berkeley, CA|
|Aline Smithson||The Julia Dean Photo Workshops, Los Angeles, CA|
On our first day back to class, Stephan puts on the French Chef with Julia Child. We watch as she makes an awkward attempt to flip her potato pancake. She misses, scoops it all back up and attempts the flip again, this time with success. We cheer, and after a few minutes, Voilà: a golden brown pancake ready to enjoy, and therein lies Stephan’s lesson of the day. He links Julia Child's experience in the kitchen, and her unyielding, unabashed confidence in the face of utter failure, to our own artistic practices.
Teaching Award winner's student
Brittney Connelly, The University of Houston, Alumni 2012